Our Story & Who We Are
Diff. provides high-end 4×4 vehicle rentals for all-season travel both on or off-road. We properly equip our vehicles for the season and environment with appropriate all-terrain or studded snow tires, soft tops when it’s warm, and onboard air compressors to support travel on icy or snow packed roads, rugged trails, and sandy beaches. Since our opening in 2015 (under the brand Colorado 145), we have grown to serve multiple locations throughout Colorado including Denver, Grand Junction, Montrose, Ridgway, Telluride, and more. In 2023 the company expanded to Hawaii to serve the island of Kauai from its newest location in Lihue.
At Diff., we want every experience to be exceptional. Renting a car is not always a pleasant experience. The name “Diff” was chosen as we feel it resembles our intention to be “different” than a traditional rental car company. For Diff., being different includes:
- Providing a guaranteed 4-wheel drive / 4X4 vehicle.
- Allowing the customer to select a specific make / model rather than simply a “class” of vehicle.
- A paperless registration process done prior to arrival so customers do not have to wait in a traditional rental car line after a long day of travel.
- Offering “contactless” pick up and return (we learned something during Covid ;).
- Approval for off-road use & trail guide assistance. Traditional rental car companies typically prohibit off-road use by contract.
- Providing true off-road tires as opposed to street tires that typically come with a Jeep Wrangler or other 4X4 rental from a traditional rental car company.
- Switching out all-terrain tires for studded snow tires at high elevation in Colorado during winter, as we feel it’s safer than just having 4-wheel drive. And, it’s what we do on our personal vehicles to help keep the family safe when road conditions may change quickly.
- Offering add-on accessories like ski racks, rooftop boxes, coolers, umbrellas, and beach chairs.
- Being hyper-focused on service, whether is means delivering a vehicle to a customer, supporting one-way trips by agreeing to fetch a vehicle, driving to a customer to switch out a vehicle if any issue arises, or being open 365 days a year and working 12-hour days to assist with reservations, points of interest, vehicle training, and trail recommendations.
Our owners live in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado and on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai and enjoy adventure travel and supporting those who seek it. We also promote responsible outdoor recreation! In Hawaii, we would say “mālama ka’aina”, which means to take care of the land. A portion of all sales are donated to Tread Lightly. to help with this cause.
We want to thank you for considering Diff. for your 4×4 vehicle and adventure travel throughout Colorado or on Kauai, Hawaii and especially want to thank the thousands of customers and many repeat customers we serve. We hope to give you a “Jeep Wave” when we pass on a high mountain trail such as Imogene Pass between Ouray and Telluride or a sandy beach such as Polihale on Kauai.